Sunday, November 11, 2012

Time with Mama B!



Monday-Wednesday, October 15-18, 2012 
       
So, Carolyn (Jeremy’s mom) was here about a month ago. Our visit was fun and refreshing. It was much needed in the sense that we just needed time to sit down, share our hearts, and get on the same page about all the recent happenings and decisions. Jeremy worked a lot during the time she was here, so we had a lot of time with it just being us. I feel like our time was definitely God-ordained and I’m so thankful for a mom-in-law who comes to the “table to discuss”. About 30 minutes after she got here, we were driving through town, running errands and while talking about adoption in general, she opens conversation deeper by explaining that she was looking online at children through Compassion International and how many of the children from Ethiopia had HIV or AIDS, and that she wondered if that would be the case with our child. This is an honest question and concern that I think is one of the first concerns many people think about. I explained the health screening process and that we would not be referred a child with HIV or AIDS unless we had been approved during our home study to do so and we were willing.
        She then just said, I really just need to sit down and understand how y’all decided to go internationally, and then how and why you decided on Ethiopia. I’m so thankful this was her attitude! I welcome honest and transparent concerns, questions, and discussions! For the next few hours we sat and just talked the whole adoption thing out. I started from the very beginning and how God has been preparing us (for the past several years!), to reviewing again how we had received definitive answers of infertility, and lastly tried my best to articulate how our hearts and minds on why we decided to go internationally and specifically Ethiopia. She asked questions, voiced concerns, and we talked. By the end of the conversation, she lovingly accepted our decision and expressed excitement for us.
        I know that other people in our lives (especially our parents) who love us will have their own grieving to do about what they may have envisioned for us or themselves. I recognize that, accept and respect it. I give the invitation to do it!
But I can’t tell you how thankful I am for how Carolyn took the time to listen, discuss and then partner alongside in the journey. Lord thank you for blessing me with a mom-in-law who listens, discusses, and loves! I know it’s been a lot to accept, “a pill to swallow” as she would say, but I trust that as you continue to prepare our hearts, you will do the same for our family! Thank you for being such a mighty and compassionate Lord.

 
Amy, Carolyn, and Me! Blessed Buzhardt Beauties! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment